background

Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Our Work Here Is Finished

Yes, yes. We have completed our parenting responsibilities and taken our darling children to Disneyland. No therapy for these well-adjusted kids. Don't they look perfectly happy to you?


After months of snow in good old Monticello we loved the balmy California temps.




















We spent the first day of our three-day pass in the fantasy of Disneyland, ears and all. By a happy coincidence we were able to spend some time with the Sansom family. My kids adore "Uncle" Kelly and his antics (and they are many). Here are Parker and Kelly hammin' it up on one of the very tame roller coasters in Toon Town.




I think Whitney tried to stay as close to Kelly as the fun would allow. Love this shot.




I have always said that Kelly Sansom has the rare gift to make Jeremy laugh harder than anyone else in the world, as evidenced by the HUGE smile on Jer's face. I think I snapped this shot right after Kelly kissed Jeremy on the cheek (and lived to tell the story).





We got the chance to watch the Jedi Training Camp. I thought Spencer would jump out of his skin trying to get picked to come up and participate. Parker was chosen, Whitney called out, and thank goodness,




so was Spencer. After a rigorous course of training he got to put the hours of light saber practice he has spent on the front yard into defeating Darth Maul. Can you see the intensity on his face? Darth Maul did not stand a chance.






I think Parker was waving his hand frantically, got picked, then realized that he was the biggest kid up there. He played it cool but I believe had fun in spite of himself (kinda the story of the whole trip for that kid.)




Later this day we said farewell for now to the Sansoms and met up with some other friends, the Stowe family. Spencer, Angie, and their four darling children.
Angie and I have been friends since the 4th grade (gosh that is starting to sound like a long time). Luckily for us our husbands have also struck up a great friendship and we love the chance to get together.


The Stowes live about 25 minutes away from Disney and made our night by driving up to spend some time at the park together. I think we all agreed that the Jungle Cruise at night is awesome - try it sometime. We also agreed that the song from the Tikki Room will stick in your head for days and days. Just writing this has me singing it. AAARRRG!


We had a great dinner with the Stowes and then made it back to our base camp. Jeremy's Aunt Janeen and Uncle Lance were gracious enough to open their home to three crazy kids and two slightly insane parents for a few nights (THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!) We arrived there about 10 pm where our kids barely made it out of their clothing before collapsing into bed. If you know my children, you understand the miracle.


Freshly rested we headed back to the parks and spent the day at California Adventure. Does Spencer look happy or what? Perhaps he had a premonition that he would be facing his fears soon on . . .

THIS!



California Adventure has some fun stuff, but we loved this coaster. Parker and I rode it right off and LOVED it. We went over and over but Spencer just couldn't bring himself to face the upside down loop. Finally toward the end of the day Spence decided to dig deep and go for it.
I sat next to him in the seat and as we waited I could hear him hyperventilating. As we blasted off (0-55 mph 4 seconds) I heard him scream. He kept screaming until the bottom of the biggest hill when the screaming turned to triumphant laughter. I think we ended up going on that ride 10 times in all.




Whitney was pretty freaked about any and all roller coasters. I have some absolutely classic video of her on Splash Mountain (my blogger WILL NOT load this up - sorry!). Whit is a weeping, shaking, clinging mass of tears all the way through the ride. After the big splash she turns around and, I quote, says "Oh, that was fun!"
Pretty much the same story on every coaster she tried. As she would wait in line she would start to get wide-eyed, then start breathing funny. Just before we would get on she would get nauseated and start sitting on the floor. She would go through the entire ride white knuckled and panicked then as the ride ended say "That was fun!" Sheesh.


And what parent hasn't wanted to do this at one point during a day at an amusement park? The bruising was minimal.



When Parker was about 6 he really loved the character 'Mater from Cars. He even chose a poster for his room with 'Mater and the quote "Ain't no need to watch where I'm goin' : just need to know where I've been." With that long-standing relationship, Parker had to give 'Mater a little love when we ran into him in the park.






Parker was also the only one in the family brave enough to ride the Tower of Terror. It is one of those pull you up and drop you rides. Not my favorite (and I will ride just about anything). Here he stands triumphant but still shaking outside the ride.



Spencer, the Goat Whisperer. Honestly, they would not leave him alone.




Main Street U.S.A., Disneyland, CA. Our last day. No lines, great weather, what to you want to do next?


The kids saved for months to have some cash in Disney. Since moving to Monticello Whitney has discovered her inner cowgirl. When Whit saw a Jessie doll in the store she was smitten and took Jessie home. They snuggled all night and ate breakfast together the next morning. Imagine Whit's delight to meed the life-size Jessie at the park.


Years ago Jeremy, his brothers, and their cousins posed for a picture together in Disneyland. They have all had fun finding that same spot over the years and recreating the picture as they grow older.
We found our own spot and hope to recreate this at some future date, perhaps with grand kids in tow.




Perhaps when we are old and gray I will like this shot! Thanks Spencer for catching my good side.



As a closing ride I finally played the "It would make Mom so happy if. . ." and forced the family onto It's A Small World. In spite of Parker being convinced that this ride would be the lame of the lame kiddie rides, I got them all on the boat and moving before they could jump off. Everyone ACTUALLY thought it was fun, even this guy.



It has taken me a few weeks to write this post up. I think I was recovering from the 14 hours on the road and the cold I inevitably caught at the parks.
I am glad for the time to fuzz out the nasty parts (whining, fighting, etc.) and just leave the bright glow time well spent and laughter shared.
Until the next decade, Uncle Walt.

3 comments:

  1. Awwww. Best parents, ever! This post made me feel so happy, and I wasn't even there! Congrats to your kids for facing fears of roller coasters and defeating The Empire.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What are the chances that I would stumble across your blog? 'It's A Small World After All'. It's actually a funny story. Anyway...looks like you are doing well. It was fun to have a little peak of you and your family. I don't have an account, so I had to use my wife's to post a comment.
    -Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Koryn!
    I don't know if you remember me, but this is Marlee Redford.. Karen Redford's daughter. :)
    Funny story, my mom found your blog somehow and she was super excited to find you but she can't comment on your blog for some reason. So I have been instructed to be the mediator in the situation and give you her information because she really wants to get in touch with you!!
    I don't know if I should put her number on here, so her email is kkredford@gmail.com.
    Koryn, your kids are adorable! I can remember when Parker and Spencer were babies!! I hope all is well with you :)

    ReplyDelete