background

Monday, April 12, 2010

Monticello Buckaroos Dancing with the Stars

That was the glorified title of the elementary school's Spring Festival 2010. With all of the parents crammed (and I do mean crammed even though my photographic evidence is lacking) into the gym we watched as each grade came out and showed their dances from around the world.

First Grade: From the Islands of the South Pacific. Ladies - the hula. Gentlemen - the Hauka.

Whitney practiced her moves for weeks at home but would not let me see so as not to ruin the surprise. She loved this dance. When she is not practicing clogging moves on my kitchen floor, she is working the hula.





Third Grade: From the Japaneses Islands. Ladies and Gentlemen - Japanese Ribbon Dance.

Spencer got to make this awesome headband that says "Safe, Respectful, Successful" (the school slogan). (Side story - While making them in class the kids all got to see how to write and say their names in Japanese. When Spencer brought his home he and I got into a silly mood and said his like a sumo wrestler calling out a challenge. It sounds something a bit like "a-spens-a." It really works if you bow and say it very quickly. Ah, the fun.)

Back to the dances. Spencer looked about like this through the whole dance. He is having fun, you just don't see it like I do.



It did look pretty cool with all the kids waving their ribbons in time to the music all through the gym.



Fifth Grade: From the Great U.S. of A. Ladies and Cowboys - Western Line Dance.
Fifth grade boys love to dance in front of a crowd of their friends and family. Just ask them! I have to admit I was pretty impressed with those boys and how much enthusiasm they really did put into their moves. I heard some "Yehaws" and lots of whistling throughout.
Parker continues to make the argument that REAL men wear pink. He picked this shirt specially for the cowboy dance and looked like a real, manly cowboy to me. One of Parker's best buddies is also in the shot, Mckayd LaRose. I think they kept each other close for moral support.



Good job Buckaroos! Once we got out of the sweltering gym (gosh does body heat warm up a place quick) we came home for treats and a retelling of all the adventures. Just another notch on the old Monticello native belt.

3 comments:

  1. Your little girl is gorgeous and your manly men are so handsome! Is there a better cowboy name than Mckayd LaRose? Yeehaw!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So jealous of your small town experience. I'll expect an encore performance when we visit! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that they're still doing the dancing in grade school. Whitney is so tall! You can tell she is about to burst with happiness doing the hula - for real. :)

    ReplyDelete